Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fall Leaf Cupcakes





I had some creative brainstorming today that just hit me, so when it strikes, I must act. I had been toying with some ideas to do something for fall and today it came to me.

The cupcakes above are yellow cake with eggplant-colored buttercream icing. The leaves are made of gum paste. I started with adding a golden yellow food coloring gel to the gum paste and then adding brown, blue, and red without mixing all the way to create the marbled color you see. The leaves were cut from a template I created (not a cookie cutter) and veined with a gum paste tool (not a veiner press). Believe me....if I had both of those tools, I would have used them. In the final stage, they were dusted with yellow luster dust to give it a shine. The paper wrappers were made from brown lunch sacks that I cut up and crumpled to provide a nice texture. I wrapped a piece of twine around them and tied it in the back to help them to stay on the cupcake.

I think what's so cool about these cupcakes is that I used ingredients and stuff that I had around the house. Now, not everyone would have gum paste or luster dust, but since I had some leftover from a previous project, it makes it easier. I had so much fun creating these. A lot of hard work but a big payoff in the end.

1 comment: